Held at the College of Lake County, this two-year program provides training in photonics using state-of-the-art optical and laser equipment. Photonics is the technology of harnessing light and other forms of radiant energy whose quantum unit is the photon. It involves cutting-edge uses of lasers, optics, fiber-optics, and electro-optical devices in diverse fields of manufacturing, healthcare, telecommunication, environmental monitoring, homeland security, aerospace, green construction, and many others.
What will my classes be like?
First, you will learn electronic laboratory techniques focusing on DC and AC circuit fundamentals using what you've learned in algebra and geometry. Then comes the principles of generating and harnessing light through the use of lasers and optics, fiber optics, solar cells and other applications. Light up your career prospects by learning photonics!
Students in this class are eligible to receive 16 credits from the College of Lake County.
- LPO 110 - Intro to Lasers, Photonics & Optics, 3 credits
- LPO 111 - Fundamentals of Light and Lasers, 4 credits
- LPO 112 - Elements of Photonics, 3 credits
- LPO 113 - Photonics Enabled Technologies, 3 credits
- ARM 156 - Electrical Systems I, 1 credit
- ARM 157 - Electrical Systems II, 1 credit
- ARM 158 - Electrical Systems III, 1 credit
- Engineering Technician
- Field Service Technician
- Laser Safety Officer
- Laser Technician
- Manufacturing Technician
- Medical Laser Safety Officer
- Photonics Technician
- Research Technician
- Test Technician