What will my classes be like?
First you will learn electronic laboratory techniques focusing on DC and AC circuit fundamentals using what you've learned in Algebra and Geometry. Next comes the principles of generating and harnessing light through the use of lasers and optics, fiber optics, solar cells and other applications. Each module includes hands-on activities with state-of-the-art optical and laser equipment. Photonics technology is used in Blu-Ray, optical fiber communications, laser surgery, military guidance systems, navigation, mine laying and detection, secure communications and communications jamming, and holographic art. Light up your career prospects by learning photonics!
This program will offer students hands on learning with state-of-the-art optical and laser equipment. Photonics is the technology of generating and harnessing light and other forms of radiant energy whose quantum unit is the photon. Photonics involves cutting-edge uses of lasers, optics, fiber-optics, and electro-optical devices in numerous and diverse fields of technology, manufacturing, health, telecommunication, environment monitoring, homeland security, aerospace, green construction and many others.
Students in this class are eligible to receive 16 credits from the College of Lake County.
- LPO 110 - Intro to Lasers, Photonics & Optics, 3 credits
- LPO 111 - Fundamentals of Light and Lasers, 4 credits
- LPO 112 - Elements of Photonics, 3 credits
- LPO 113 - Photonics Enabled Technologies, 3 credits (Year 2)
- ARM 156 - Electrical Systems I, 1 credit (Year 2)
- ARM 157 - Electrical Systems II, 1 credit (Year 2)
- ARM 158 - Electrical Systems III, 1 credit (Year 2)
- Engineering Technician
- Field Service Technician
- Photonics Technician
- Research Technician
- Laser Technician
- Test Technician
- Manufacturing Technician
- Technical Sales Person
- Laser Safety Officer
- Medical Laser Safety Officer